History of Weitra chateau dates back to the beginning of 13th century, when the castle was together with the city Weitra based by Austrian nobleman Hadmar II. at the highest point of the neighbourhood. Austrian nobleman Hadmar II. based on the site of old Slavic settlement along with the castle with the permission of the Czech king also the town Weitra. On the site of original castle there was built in the 16th century the chateau, which got its present appearance in 18th century after devastating fire when there was need to reconstruct the castle quite extensively.During the reconstruction in the 18th century there was in the 1st floor of the west wing of the chateau Weitra theatre built, which was after that expanded and rebuilt in 1885 to historicist Rococo style by Landgrave Eduard Egon zu Fürstenberg. By construction work on reconstruction of the theatre was entrusted company of Mr. Hermann Schneider and by joinery works Mr. Karel Romeder (portals and proscenium) and Mr. Franz Wiltschek (bench). The chateau theatre was used mainly in the first ten years after its reconstruction, when in the theatre played members of Fürstenberg family and also their relatives or employees. The theatre has 150 seats. For quick exchange of individual scenes the theatre is equipped with theatre stage machinery. In the theatre there was also installed gas lighting.






